Friday 31 May 2013

Relaxed/ Texlaxed Hair Regimen (updates!)




I have not posted in so so long! But I am back and ready to be consistent (or at least I'll try teehee) okay so during the past few months I've pretty much revamped my whole hair regimen just because I  felt like some of the products I was using in the past weren't working as well for me and wanted to try out new things. I'm currently 6 months post relaxer (!!) and going to texlax in 2 weeks.  I've also been researching loads about hair, porosity pH, moisture and protein balance  and so much more in order to get the best healthy haircare regimen. I HIGHLY recommend  purchasing The Science Of Black hair- it is amazing it's taught me so so much and I've read it about a  bajillion times. So anyway, here is my detailed regimen and I'll explain what each step does etc

Friday night

1. Spray water over hair, saturate with coconut oil and finger detangle
(One of he biggest changes I've made to my regimen is finger detangling. I used to be one of those people who would say "I could never finger detangle, my hair is WAY too thick" until a few months ago I watched a few youtube videos including Heyfranhey's of how they finger detangled and the benefits of finger detangling. So I decided to give it ago and it is one of the best things I've ever done for my hair. I have a significant decrease in the amount of hair I lose while detangling and I've noticed my hair is thicker and stronger. I LOVE it! 

1. Prepoo with coconut oil and a plastic cap overnight 
(Coconut oil is great for us high porosity girlies as it is able to penetrate the hair shaft and prevents excessive water absorption and swelling of the hair shaft. Highly porous hair absorbs more water when it's wet causing it to swell and coconut oil protects the hair by binding to the hair's inner proteins which reduces the hair's ability to swell in response to water) 


Saturday morning

2. Wash hair with cleansing conditioner 
( I've gotten rid of my weekly shampoos because I've noticed cleansing conditioners leave my hair feeling much softer whilst cleaning my scalp and removing weekly build up. I also add a few drops of peppermint oil to my washes as an extra way to stimulate my scalp.


3. Apply a cheapy conditioner and leave for 3-5 mins 

4. Apply a moisturizing or light protein deep conditioner 
( I normally do a wet strand test on my hair to see if my hair needs extra protein or moisture but generally just do 1 week moisture, the next protein. I always add oils, honey and glycerin to my moisturizing conditioners. I also use with heat or steam in the sauna.)

5. Wash out DC and do an ACV rinse or apply an acidifying conditioner for 5 mins and rinse out
( This step is to keep my porosity in check by restoring the pH balance and closing the cuticle resulting in shinier hair that is able to retain more moisture.

6. Air dry hair with the T-shirt method to 50% dry then add leave ins and seal with a heavy oil/ butter.

7. Twist, braid or bun hair and allow to completely dry.


Tuesday 
1. Apply deep conditioner on dry hair
( I normally apply a moisturising conditioner however if I feel my hair needs it I will go ahead and apply a light protein conditioner.)

2. Cowash with a cheapy conditioner 

3. Apply leave ins and air dry 




Daily 
I've been following the LOC method and the results are very moisturised and soft hair. 
My lotion of choice is Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk
My oil of choice is a coconut oil/hemp seed oil mix
My cream of choice is Elasta QP Mango 
I also seal my ends twice a day with Bonacure Sealed Ends to help retain length.

Extras 
Clarify monthly (in order to remove product build up) 
Henna or clear rinse monthly ( Help to correct your porosity by binding and filling in the gaps in your hair shaft. Another benefit is very shiny hair :D)
Hard protein treatment monthly
Baggy ends 2-3 times a week


Current Staples 

Cleansing Conditioners
Kinky Curly Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner

Cheapy Conditioners
Tresemee natural conditioner
Superdrug naturals conditioner
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner

Moisturising Deep Conditioners
Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair 
Keracare Humecto
Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner 


Light/Medium Protein Deep Conditioners 
Joico K-Pak Reconstructor
Mane and Tail

Hard Protein Conditioners
Aphogee 2 Step
ORS Hair Mayonnaise 

Acidifying conditioner
Nexxus Ensure 

Leave Ins: 
Chi Silk Infusion
Elasta QP Olive oil & Mango Butter
Tresemee naturals diluted with aloe vera juice and distilled water 

Moisturisers
Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk
S- Curl (From 2 months into my stretches onwards, I use this to spray directly onto my new growth)
Aloe vera juice mixed with distilled water and glycerin (I also use this to spray on my new growth)

Oils
Extra Virgin Coconut oil(my number 1 holy grail product, could not live without it)
Extra Virgin Hemp seed oil( add to DCs)
Grapeseed oil (add to DCs)
Extra Virgin Castor Oil ( to oil my scalp twice weekly and occasionally use to seal my ends)
Jamaican Black Castor Oil ( have been using this daily on my edges and most of it has grown back, will continue to use it daily and update)
Peppermint Oil (add to DCs and cleansing conditioner 
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Vatika Oil (gives hair a healthy shine)

Styling
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (for braid outs and twist outs)
100% aloe vera gel (for edges)
ORS edge control


Extras 
Charmeuse Silk Hair Bonnet
Charmeuse Silk Pillowcase (also helps with skincare issues, score!) 
Shower Filter (due to hard water issues in my area, thanks so much London!) 
Soft and Botanicals Texturizer (I use a texturizer which is a mild relaxer but I deliberately underprocess my hair and leave it on less than the recommended time so my hair is thicker and there is a lesser chance of chemical damage.
Adore Clear Rinse in Jet Black (improves porosity and makes hair extra shiny!)



No comments:

Post a Comment